February 2, 2008

Yes We Can

I have been undecided for as it relates to this upcoming election. I have been listening excitedly to speeches from Barack Obama and every time he speaks I can feel emotion rise in me. I have never experienced that listening to a politician. There is a hope and an earnest belief that we can become a better nation than we are.
I listened to his New Hampshire speech the night it aired. I loved the tone of his voice, the way the words rolled, and the passion that he invoked. I am sure this speech must have been written by a speech writer somewhere, but the delivery had me captured.
Today I saw the "Yes, We Can" Video through seesmic and it was phenomenal. The fact that Obama's tone, message, and delivery can easily be transformed into a song is excellent.

Here are the links:
http://www.dipdive.com/

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2008/2/2/04722/24305/353/448138

2 comments:

Tim said...

How nauseating. I have a novel idea. Instead of "hoping", how about some actual action.

"Hope is the worst of evils, for it prolongs the torment of man" - Nietzsche

Jason DeBoer-Moran said...

Tim,
Action in a Democracy takes the concerted effort of many. I have appreciated Obama's ability to inspire the desire for action.
I don't view humankind as in torment as Nietzsche does.
I more frequently side with the likes of Reinhold Niebuhr,
"Nothing worth doing is completed in our lifetime,
Therefore, we are saved by hope.
Nothing true or beautiful or good makes complete sense in any immediate context of history;
Therefore, we are saved by faith.
Nothing we do, however virtuous, can be accomplished alone.
Therefore, we are saved by love.
No virtuous act is quite a virtuous from the standpoint of our friend or foe as from our own;
Therefore, we are saved by the final form of love which is forgiveness."